My father-in-law has Celiac. I also know several people who have wheat allergies (legitimately, not because of a choice to eat that way).
DISCLAIMER: a recipe is only gluten free if you prevent cross contamination in your household and if all of the products are free from gluten (I make no guarantees).
- 2 1/2 cups organic, dried shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten to a foamy consistency
- 1 tablespoon gluten free, alcohol free vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper (do not skip this step!).
- In a clean bowl, whip egg whites to fluffy consistency (think soap bubbles), then beat in all other ingredients except coconut.
- Hand mix with a spatula the coconut, to evenly incorporate.
- Spoon in heavy tablespoons onto cookie sheets, spacing 1-2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-14 mins until edges are lightly browned. Insides will be sticky but not wet looking.
- Let cool 10 mins. Delicately remove from parchment to a plate.
- Enjoy! They won’t last long! Makes 18-20 cookies!
This is inspired by Martha Stewart’s Sugar Dusted Macaroon Trees.